Happy New Year! I’ll be back Jan. 12 with all new posts to support our growth and joy in 2015. In the meantime, here is a new post to get you thinking. Ask yourself the questions below and set the mood for an awesome year ahead.
One of the best ways to live deliberately – to actually become aware of the life you are living to create the experiences you desire – is to ask good questions.
When we ask questions our brains and instincts circle around searching for the answers until they come up with something that speaks to our questions.
You ask, “why am I not having success?” and you will get plenty of answers as to your failings. But, when you ask “what can I do to become more successful?” you will also get the answers to that question and those answers will put you on the path to creating more of what you would like.
So this New Year, choose good questions, and the answers you seek will actually guide you toward greater health, abundance, love, peace and self-awareness.
Here are five questions that can super-charge your growth and success in 2015.
- How can I serve? We all want to contribute something positive to the world, but we often get mired in the daily routine and forget that we do best when we are making a difference.
- How can I live close to my values? To answer this question you’ll need to identify the things you value most so this is really a two-parter. Studies by psychologists including Steven Reiss have shown that when we know what we value and we do things each day to stay close to those values, we experience happiness. Not just the one-off variety that passes quickly, but sustained happiness that lingers.
- Who and what do I love? Ask this often, daily. List everything. The simple noticing of the things we care about translatse into Big Gratitude and that improves our moods, health, relationships and everything else that matters. When we dwell in fondness – thinking of the things we love about a person or thing – we tend to discover more things to be fond of and this is oh, so good for your relationships and moods.
- How can I create more abundance in my life? Stronger relationships, better health, more money, bigger fun. These things make up an abundant life and they belong to those who ask and take action. Often though we focus on lack. We ask questions like “how am I going to pay these bills?” “Why do things never go my way?” “Why do I never have enough?” Instead, try asking the how questions — “How can I find new work opportunities?” “How can I lose the weight I want?” “How can I improve my marriage?” and allow your mind to go to work on big-time, abundance-building answers.
- Who am I? Alright, this one is a bit esoteric and philosophical but valuable just the same because when we really contemplate our very essence, we connect to the higher energy of ourselves — the core of light and love and peace that we all are. It’s hard to get our undies in a bunch and worry about all the little details of life when we realize that we are connected to that Universal energy and comprised of the same elements that make up the sun and the oceans and the mountains the stars. Perspective people and this question helps us create it.
Ask these questions. Pose more of your own. And allow your mind to ponder the answers as you sit in meditation or go about your daily business. Your instincts will flair too and you’ll arrive at a knowing – a settled feeling — when you get close to the answers that will serve you now.
Don’t be afraid to ask new questions and to change your mind, either. Be open to the journey wherever it leads knowing that when you ask a good questions the answers lead to a better life starting right now.